Miss World SA 2019
Sasha-Lee Laurel Olivier
15 Facts About Sasha-Lee Laurel Olivier – Miss World South Africa 2019
Quote from Sasha-Lee: “I was sexually abused from the age of 7 to 11 which was traumatic. However, as traumatic as the years of abuse at the hands of a close relative was the fact that nobody believed me when I told them. I carried a deep sense of shame, believing for years that the constant attacks on me were my fault. I want men, women and children to know that they are not to blame for their abuse. It is why I have chosen to emotionally support those people who have survived rape and sexual assault through my #itsnotyourfault campaign. This is my Beauty With A Purpose campaign that I am taking onto the global stage at Miss World, 2019, held in London this year. It is time for us to stand up for those who are vulnerable, at a time when they need our love and support the most.”
- Sasha-Lee Laurel Olivier (born in Alberton, Johannesburg on October 18, 1992) is an entrepreneur and model, currently pursuing a double major in marketing and psychology at Wits. She says her passion lies in social development.
- She works tirelessly to redefine and broaden the definition of what it means to be beautiful, supporting campaigns founded on principles of inclusivity and equal representation. She wants women to know there is power in embracing all that they are – whether it be their body-type or their story.
- She is inspired by former Miss South Africa Amy Kleinhans-Curd (1992) because she displayed courage in choosing not to carry the old South African flag.
- Her role models are:
- Vusi Thembekwayo an entrepreneur whose tenacity in the face of adversity she admires;
- Ashley Graham whose approach to #body positive has never excluded any body-type;
- Oprah Winfrey who, she says, taught her that “walking in my truth would be the most powerful thing I do”.
- The eldest of three sisters, family is important to Sasha Lee. She ,is in awe of her mother whose strength as a woman and as a single mother she admires.
- Sasha Lee is keen on fishing and loves nothing more than quiet time with a rod and reel. She also likes the quiet contemplative space provided by art galleries.
- An unusual hobby is finding and climbing to the top of whatever tall building she can to take in the view of the city at night!
- Sasha Lee believes she has a responsibility to build on the legacy of strong South African women and “to continue the fight against the injustices women are facing, whether it be self-acceptance, equality, or gender-based violence”.
- She believes that beauty pageants contribute meaningfully to society. “Like sport, they bring a country and the world together, acting as a vehicle that drives awareness on socio-economic issues. A shining example of this would be the “Beauty with a Purpose Projects” and the introduction of biodegradable sanitary towels that not only keep the girl child in school, but are also eco-friendly.”
- FUN FACT: Sasha Lee loves vintage video games!
- BRAIN FACT: Sasha Lee takes inspiration from Michelle Obama, a strong powerful woman.
- MUSIC FACT: On any day of the week I am a proud member of the Bey-hive and I also love Coldplay, Shekinah and Nasty C.
- FAVOURITE TV SITCOM: The Big Bang Theory
- FAVOURITE MEAL: Pizza, cheesecake. Cheese is a favourite food.
- CRAZIEST THING, EVER: Flying in an old Czech fighter jet doing barrel rolls in the sky!!